“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Reading is a wonderful activity for kids and adults alike. It’s a great way to grow your imagination, vocabulary, and knowledge base. It’s a pastime that’s both fun and educational.
On March 2, 2015, National Education Association will hold its annual National Read Across America Day, aka Dr. Seuss Day. This enjoyable day is scheduled on Dr. Seuss’s birthday and serves as a nationwide celebration dedicated to the love of reading.
Many libraries, schools, and community centers celebrate Dr. Seuss Day with reading parties and entertaining activities. If you have kids, why not pass on the love of reading by planning a fun day full of good reads, crafts, and learning activities? We have some fantastic ideas to get your wheels turning.
Fun Ways to Celebrate Dr. Seuss Day
- Cat in the Hat Jell-O Snack— What’s a good party without something delicious to eat? These Jell-O treats are fun to look at and consume. Kids will immediately recognize the red-and-white pattern that simulates the hat in The Cat in the Hat.
- Homemade Dr. Seuss Party Decorations—You can’t have a proper party without some decorations! Instead of spending a lot of money on buying decorations, why not make your own? You’ll find some excellent ideas for easy-to-make decorations that bring the spirit of Dr. Seuss’s books to life. You can even use his books as decorations!
- Pin the Eggs on the Plate—You remember the old party favorite Pin the Tail on the Donkey, right? Well, that game has been Seuss-ified in a way that kids will love. Just print and cut out the image and hang it on the wall to get started. Don’t forget the blindfold!
- Make Your Own Foot Book— If your kids are familiar with Dr. Seuss’s The Foot Book, they’ll have fun with this craft. Get the whole family involved to create a lasting memory!
- How to Make a Dr. Seuss Fish Bowl Party Favor—This is the perfect idea for a Dr. Seuss Day party, birthday party, or baby shower. Send guests home with a sweet Dr. Seuss-themed party favor based on the favorite book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.
Looking for more cool ideas to celebrate Dr. Seuss Day? Check out NEA’s Read Across America page.
Save on Dr. Seuss Books with FreeShipping.com
You can’t have a Dr. Seuss Day without some of his books! If you want to build up your reading collection, FreeShipping.com can help. When you sign up as a member, you can enjoy 10% cash back, free shipping, exclusive coupons and discounts, and a search tool that offers you instant price comparisons on any item sold through our cash-back network of over 1,000 top online retailers. Shop and save on the books you want from your favorite websites like Hastings, Barnes & Noble, Book Outlet, BookPal, Bookworm, and more.
Particularly in this digital age, it’s important to instill in our children the love of reading and to preserve it within us as adults. We hope you’ll take some time this Dr. Seuss Day to pick up a good book and get lost in your imagination.
What is the first book you read as a kid? What book from your childhood is most memorable to this day?
Please comment below and share your reading experience with us.