When it comes to cooking, our slow cooker is my best friend! While the weather is still chilly, everyone’s looking for their favorite soup, stew, chowder, or hearty dish to warm up with. Using a slow cooker is an easy way to produce healthy and hearty meals your entire family will love.
Benefits of Using a Slow Cooker
Not familiar with using a slow cooker and want to know why you should? We’ve been using ours for years, so we’ll gladly tell you all the reasons we love it:
- You can put ingredients in the slow cooker before work and come home to a fully-cooked meal ready to be served
- It’s easy to clean — just take out the removable insert, and hand-wash the slow cooker or put it in the dishwasher
- You’ll spend less time standing at the stove and stirring
- Low and slow cooking brings out the best flavors in your dishes
- A majority of your meals can be cooked in the slow cooker
- Meat comes out tender and flavorful
- You’ll spend less money on electricity and gas used for other cooking methods
- Some slow cooker models offer programmable timer options
- You can cook once for numerous meals
- You’ll find yourself eating out less and cooking more complete and healthy meals at home
Slow Cookers to Try Out
When you’re in the market for a slow cooker, you should consider it an investment. With proper care, this small kitchen appliance can last for many years, so look for one that will meet your needs on an ongoing basis. For instance, try starting out with a simple miniature Crock-Pot® just to see how you like it. Then invest in a larger option that offers some programmable features.
Fun fact: Many people refer to these kitchen appliances as “crock pots.” The more proper term is “slow cooker”; Crock-Pot® is actually the brand name of the original type of slow cooker. Since its debut over forty years ago, other manufacturers have produced their own versions of slow cookers. Here are some slow cookers to consider:
- All-Clad Slow Cooker with Ceramic Insert, 4-quart — Go for sleek quality with this stainless steel model that comes complete with a digital LCD screen and programmable timer. So many top-notch features make this an excellent long-term investment for your kitchen.
- Rival 16-oz. Crock-Pot® Little Dipper Warmer — This little slow cooker is the perfect solution for dips, sauces, appetizers, fondue, and more. It can also be a great way to keep food cooked through another format warm over time.
- KitchenAid® Multi-Cooker — One slow cooker for many purposes, this high-tech kitchen tool offers a steam basket, roasting rack, and more than 10 cooking methods. Higher heat options up to 450 degrees allow you to cook larger cuts of meat, including roasts and poultry.
All of these amazing slow cookers are available through FreeShipping.com retailers as well! So hey, subscribers: Don’t forget to log in to receive all of your amazing benefits — like your 10% cash back!
Tasty Slow Cooker Recipes to Tackle
Many recipes can be modified for suitability in a slow cooker. In fact, I make chili, chicken tortilla soup, spaghetti sauce, steak, sausage, fajitas, and more in mine instead of using my stove. But if you’re looking for some specific recipes perfect for the slow cooker, here are a few of our faves:
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala — With only 10 minutes of prep time but 8 hours of cooking time, this is an ideal one to put on before work. At the end of the day, you’ll come home to tender and flavorful chicken that’s the perfect accompaniment to rice.
- Mexican Stew — Skip the Mexican restaurant, and warm up your home with a spicy pork posole that will benefit from a slow simmer. This one is great topped with lime and cilantro and served with some warm tortillas.
- Pesto Lasagna with Spinach and Mushrooms — No-boil lasagna pasta makes this recipe work, while the spinach and mushroom provide an added level of richness and nutrition. Forget baking for hours when you can make lasagna without all the time and fuss.
- Whole “Roast” Chili-Rubbed Chicken with Bean Salad — Is it possible to cook an entire flavorful and satisfying dinner in your slow cooker? Yes, it is, and this recipe proves it! You’ll get your protein and side dish when you try out this mouthwatering recipe.
Cook Up Savory Savings with FreeShipping.com
We hope this post has gotten you excited about the prospect of incorporating a slow cooker into your daily cooking routine. Whether you’re purchasing your first model or upgrading your current one, FreeShipping.com can offer you delicious savings. As a member, you’ll enjoy exclusive access to 10% cash back, free shipping, exclusive coupons and discounts, and a search tool that offers you instant price comparisons on any item sold through our cash-back network of over 1,000 top online retailers. Indulge in your cooking passion and love for saving money with registered retailers like Cooking.com, KitchenAid, Chefs, Cuisinart, and more.
What dish do you love to make in a slow cooker? Share your favorite recipe with us!