One of the most popular Valentine’s Day gifts, particularly from men to women, is #flowers. They are a fragrant, beautiful, and living way to demonstrate your affection for your Valentine.
If you receive flowers for Valentine’s Day, you’ll want to make them last as long as possible. We’ve put together some of our favorite tips to extend the life of your floral arrangement.
5 Ways to Keep Your Flowers Fresh for Longer
- An aspirin a day. A long-known trick to keep your flowers fresh is to put a crushed aspirin in the water before you drop your flowers in. Add another aspirin tablet when you change the water every day or every few days.
- Sweet and sour. Create a preservative formula designed to keep your flowers around for longer; add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar per quart (or liter) of warm water. The sugar feeds the blooms, and the vinegar keeps bacteria at bay.
- Throw money at them. Have spare change around? You can make your flowers last longer by dropping a copper penny and a cube of sugar into the water. The copper acts as an acidifier, inhibiting the growth of bacteria.
- Spray them. Spraying some hairspray on the undersides of the leaves and petals can help your flowers look fresh for longer. Just make sure to stand a foot away and give them a quick spray.
- Give them a drink. Use clear soda to extend the lifespan of your blooms. Adding about 1/4 cup of soda in the vase gives them a sugar boost that keeps them looking perky longer.
Extend Your Budget with FreeShipping.com
Another way to make sure your flowers last long past Valentine’s Day is to choose your blooms carefully. You’ll want to purchase your floral arrangement from places known for quality flowers, like ProFlowers. Those who have purchased and received blooms from ProFlowers are amazed at how long they last and how they often look better with time. Plus, because ProFlowers is a registered retailer of FreeShipping.com, our members can save money on beautiful bouquets whenever the time is right, including Valentine’s Day.
After all, our mission at FreeShipping.com is to save you the most possible money all year long. When you sign up for a FreeShipping.com membership, you’ll enjoy 10% cash back, free shipping, free return shipping, exclusive coupons and discounts, and a search tool that offers you instant price comparisons on any item sold through our cash-back network of over 1,000 top online retailers, including ProFlowers.
Try FreeShipping.com now with our 7-Day free trial. Plus, for a limited time, get an extra $10 cash back on your first purchase using FreeShipping.com!
What’s your favorite way to extend the life of your flowers? Do you have any secret tips or tricks not mentioned here?