There’s so much fun to be had in fall. It’s a wonderful time of year to enjoy special family time together. Festivities abound indoors and out. Fall is also exciting because it’s so easy to celebrate the season without overspending. Find out how to enjoy all that fall has to offer while keeping it budget-friendly.
5 Ways to Enjoy Fall on a Budget
- Enjoy fall’s colors. One of the most significant aspects of fall is the array of bright colors to be found in nature. You will find trees decked out in orange, yellow, and red. There’s also plenty of color to be found in the bounty of fall harvest fruits and vegetables. Take some time to get outdoors and enjoy all of autumn’s vibrancy by going on a walk, hike, bicycle ride, or drive. It costs so little to enjoy so much richness.
- Pick some produce. Fall is about the harvest of produce that suddenly becomes available in force. A great way to enjoy this season and the bounty it offers is to pick some produce. Get out to an orchard, and pick some apples. Look for fruit or vegetable festivals. Take the kids to pick out pumpkins or squash to be used for cooking and/or decoration. Particularly if you eat the produce, it is a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy the treasures of the season. Take advantage of the opportunity to try out some new recipes.
- Craft from nature. Autumn is a great time of year to use all that nature has to offer and incorporate it into handmade creations. Use twigs, leaves, pine cones, cinnamon sticks, bark, and more to create natural crafts that will bring the outdoors in. Get the kids involved to make memories that will last for a lifetime. Since you will be using primarily natural elements, the expense will be minimal, but the joy will be priceless. Utilize these crafts around your home to add an organic feel to your home décor.
- Capture the moment. Savor the season by snapping some pictures of fall’s glory. This is a great time of year to capture some memories by taking photos of your family to be used for Christmas cards, photo books, or photo gifts. I know one family that heads outside every fall and takes photos of their growing kids. The colors of fall provide a naturally rich backdrop for even amateur photographers. You’ll be making memories while you capture memories, and if you take your own photos, you will find serious savings over professional portraits.
- Catch a flick. On those chilly fall evenings, few things will bring a family together better than a good movie. Keep it seasonal by watching an autumn, Halloween, or Thanksgiving-related movie. During this time of year, you may find these types of movies playing on network or cable TV. Raid your DVD collection for any films that may fit this time of year. Some of my favorite flicks to watch around this time of year include The Nightmare Before Christmas and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Pop some popcorn, and snuggle with the family under a blanket.
Fall is such an enjoyable time of year, and there’s so much to do that costs very little. Looking for more autumn activity ideas? Check out Real Simple’s Fun Fall Activities Checklist to get your wheels turning.
FreeShipping.com Can Help Keep Your Fall Frugal
As you’re thinking about taking advantage of all that fall has to offer while saving money in the process, don’t forget to utilize your FreeShipping.com membership. When shopping online, there’s no better way to shop savvy than by taking advantage of FREE shipping, exclusive coupons and discounts, and 10% cash back.
Need a new TV to watch movies or football with your family this fall? Get high-quality electronics and superior selection at reasonable prices when you shop Best Buy. You can also find some great fall movie options, as well as audio electronics, music, home theater equipment, and much more. When you shop at Best Buy, you will have something to do even on those rainy and dark fall days.
Another excellent way to spend your fall is with a great book. Alibris is a go-to online resource for used and new books. Pick some books that are perfect for this time of year, and get your read on. Share a scary story with your family. Or if you’re ready to try out some new recipes with all of the produce you picked, check out their assortment of cookbooks. In addition to a large selection of books, they also offer music and movies to keep you busy all autumn long.
We hope these tips will help you to enjoy your fall in full while keeping it frugal. Don’t forget to share this post with your family and friends!